Friday, February 4, 2011

Sermon

Sermon # 1026
January 30, 2011
Luke 17:20-21
John 14:15-27
Dr. Ed Pettus

“Christ Focus”

Henry Jones lies on the stone floor with a gun shot wound. His voice is raspy as he repeats one instruction over and over: “Only the penitent man will pass. Only the penitent man will pass." The scene flashes to Indiana Jones who is entering a corridor of what we can only imagine are dangerous traps. Indiana is also quoting the instruction: “The penitent man will pass. The penitent... the penitent. The penitent man...” As the excitement builds, Indiana realizes the clue is a way through the corridor: “The penitent man is humble before God…” and as the cobwebs begin to move with a wind, Indiana gets it: “The penitent man is humble before God…” “He kneels before God.” Indiana makes it through the razor sharp triple pendulum, the first test. A few more traps to clear and he is on to the Holy Grail. Do you remember that scene from the Indiana Jones movie, The Last Crusade?
The penitent man kneels before God. This is our first step to God. Humility. Dallas Willard writes: “Only the humble person will let God be God” (Knowing Christ Today, p. 151). Humility. Jesus spoke of humility in this way: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me” (Matthew 18:3-5).

Humility means turning from an attitude that says I can take care of my own life. I can handle things, I can manage, I can do it alone. Children know better. They know that they need help and they are not afraid to ask. Humility is our surrender to God. It is that conversion of attitude that says I know that I cannot make it on my own, I need God. I must get on my knees as a penitent person, humble before God.

“Jesus also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: 10‘Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax-collector. 11The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, “God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax-collector. 12I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.” 13But the tax-collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, “God, be merciful to me, a sinner!” 14I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted” (Luke 18:9-14).

Some people refuse to humble themselves. They may be too dignified or perhaps they will make a deal with God that they will work things out and if they run into any problems then they might call on God to give a helping hand. Sort of the “break glass in case of fire” relationship. The rich young ruler was one who refused to humble himself: “Then someone came to [Jesus] and said, ‘Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?’ …If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.’ 18He said to him, ‘Which ones?’ And Jesus said, ‘You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; 19Honor your father and mother; also, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 20The young man said to him, ‘I have kept all these; what do I still lack?’ 21Jesus said to him, ‘If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ 22When the young man heard this word, he went away grieving, for he had many possessions” (Matthew 19:16-22). Only the penitent.

One of the most amazing scenes in the gospels is in Matthew 13:58 where it is said that Jesus could not perform any miracles: “And he did not do many deeds of power there, because of their unbelief”. Imagine a group so arrogant, so disbelieving, so unwilling to humble themselves that Jesus could not even work a deed of power in their midst.
*****
We learn from the scripture that there is a particular kind of person God seeks. In Isaiah we read: “All these things my hand has made, and so all these things are mine, says the LORD. But this is the one to whom I will look, to the humble and contrite in spirit, who trembles at my word” (66:2). God looks to the humble – God seeks out those who trust in him with all their heart, who surrender, submit their lives. This is our entrance into life in the kingdom and in relationship with God through Christ. Humility.

A second step involves the pursuit of inward righteousness. This is a hidden, inner dimension of faith that works in the secret places of the heart and soul. It is what we might consider our character. Jesus says something very interesting about inward righteousness: “Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:19-20). What righteousness will exceed that of the scribes and Pharisees? A righteousness within. The scribes and Pharisees sought to demonstrate their righteousness on the outside, with pubic prayers and outward behavior. They sought to be “seen” as righteous, but they failed to truly pursue righteousness in the inner being.

Without this inward righteousness we will never enter the kingdom of heaven. This is not the sense of going to heaven when we die, but it is the kingdom in which we are engage today, God’s kingdom. It is the kingdom Jesus taught as among us: “Once Jesus was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was coming, and he answered, ‘The kingdom of God is not coming with things that can be observed; 21nor will they say, “Look, here it is!” or “There it is!” For, in fact, the kingdom of God is among you’” (Luke 17:20-21). This is the kingdom we enter through humility and this is the kingdom we engage through inward righteousness. It is a gift from God received from above. Jesus told Nicodemus: “Very truly, I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above” (John 3:3).

Living in the kingdom means that we are walking with Christ day by day, allowing the Spirit to work in us and we seek to transform our inner being – taking on the character of Christ. “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled” (Matthew 5:6).

These two elements, humility and inward righteousness, bring us into the interactive environment of knowing Jesus Christ. We enter into the kingdom of God. We begin our journey with and to God. As we continue to progress in humility and righteousness we grow to expect Christ in our everyday existence. We being to “see” Jesus everywhere, all the time. Dallas Willard calls humility and inward righteousness the preliminaries that must be in place before we grow into two substantial elements of living life with Jesus in the kingdom of God.
Two substantial elements - First, we begin to receive more readily Christ’s “presence and activity where we are and in what we are doing at any given time” (Willard, Knowing Christ Today, p. 153). This reminds me of the benediction I have sometimes used written by Richard Halverson:
Wherever you go, God is sending you, wherever you are, God has put you there; He has a purpose in your being there. Christ who indwells you has something He wants to do through you, where you are. Believe this and go in His grace and love and power.

One of my favorite devotional readings from Oswald Chambers speaks of God using us in whatever circumstance we find ourselves. “You never can measure what God will do through you if you are rightly related to Jesus Christ. Keep your relationship right with Him, then whatever circumstances you are in, and whoever you meet day by day, He is pouring rivers of living water through you, and it is of His mercy that He does not let you know it. When once you are rightly related to God by salvation and sanctification, remember that wherever you are, you are put there by God; and by the reaction of your life on the circumstances around you, you will fulfill God's purpose, as long as you keep in the light as God is in the light” (My Utmost for His Highest, August 30). Being rightly related to God is Chambers’ phrase for what we are referring to today in humility and inward righteousness. We are seeking in these two actions, to be rightly related to God, that is, to live in the kingdom of God today.

Jesus teaches that we can live in this constant awareness of Christ’s presence: “Abide in me as I abide in you” (John 15:4). He also has this wonderful prayer of uniting us with him and God the Father: “I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, 21that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, 23I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world” (John 17:20-24). In the kingdom of God we are one in Christ, engaged in his ministry, his life, his mission, and ever growing, more and more into this awareness of Christ’s presence in the world and in us.
The second substantial element in our life in Christ is a natural movement from the practice of Christ’s presence – the desire to do what pleases God – obedience.
Obedience for Jesus is this: “If you love me, you will keep my commandments…Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them” (John 14:15-16, 23). Obedience and love are intertwined! “One of the scribes came near and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, he asked him, ‘Which commandment is the first of all?’ 29Jesus answered, ‘The first is, “Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one; 30you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.” 31The second is this, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” There is no other commandment greater than these” (Mark 12:29-31).

Willard calls these four elements, taken together, the Christ focus. Humility, the intention of inward transformation, the practice of the presence of Christ, and progressive obedience – these enable us to focus our lives in Christ, with Christ, through Christ, for Christ. These four elements give us the ability to live an ordered life, practiced in humility, transformation, presence, and obedience. It is life in the kingdom of God, ever growing and learning how we might “eliminate distractions and keep our whole being focused upon constant companionship with Christ in our ‘nows’” (Willard, p. 156). Christ focus – day by day, moment by moment, as a student of Jesus, a disciple. I am seeking this kind of growth in Christ that enables me to have a Christ focus. I think of that as an awareness of God, a God consciousness that never goes away. I think this is the kind of yearning Paul had for the church when he said: “My little children, for whom I am again in the pain of childbirth until Christ is formed in you (Galatians 4:19). Christ is formed in you! A Christ focus. I’m not sure I have the pain of childbirth for that, but what I have is a hope for you and for myself, that we can continue to grow into this kingdom of God and to grow into faith, but most crucial, that we grow in a personal and intimate way in our relationship with Jesus. Take these four elements:
1. Humility
2. Intentional inward righteousness
3. Practicing the presence of Christ
4. Loving obedience
Take them on that we might develop a Christ focus. Christ focus. Live with that thought today: Christ focus in humility, in righteousness, in Christ’s presence, and in obedience. Amen.
*This sermon taken from reflections on Dallas Willard’s, Knowing Christ Today, p. 150ff.

No comments:

Post a Comment